Chaps fall short against Sanger

By David Hausman

Contributing Writer

     The leg of place kicker Evan Moore gave Aubrey an early lead, and kept them in the game Friday night.

     Ultimately it was not enough as Aubrey fell to the high-powered Sanger Indians 27-22 at Chaparral Stadium.

     Moore set a school record with three field goals in the game, including a school-record 53-yard boot to end the first half.

     “Moore’s kicking kept us in the game,” said Aubrey coach Mike Segleski. “He did a great job tonight. Not only on field goals, but his touchbacks kept their big returner from touching the ball.”

     Moore has six field goals on the year.

     “I expected to make it,” said Moore of his long kick. “I practice them all the time from that distance and felt good about it. I just have to treat is as any other kick.”

     With Moore’s first kick giving the Chaparrals the early lead, the Aubrey defense was busy stopping the Indians at all fronts.

     Sanger had only 12 total yards in the first quarter. Meanwhile, Aubrey racked up 115 in the same period.

     “We gave ourselves a chance to win the game. Our defense stopped them, but little things stopped us and got us beat again,” Segleski said.

     The Indians took the lead on their final drive of the half. The Indians finally got a first down, their first of the game with just more than two minutes left in the half.

     Tra’von Jackson scored on a 14 yard run to give Sanger a 7-3 lead with less than a minute left in the half.

     Aubrey drove down the field to give Moore a chance at the long field goal. He lined up for a 58-yard kick, but Sanger jumped offsides. The penalty proved costly as Moore’s second attempt was true.

     The Indians came to life in the third quarter, scoring twice to take a 20-6 lead into the final frame.

     Mason Robinson pushed the ball over from the 1-yard line early in the fourth quarter to make the score 20-13. An interception by Cole Cannon led to another long field goal from Moore to make the score 20-16.

     The Indians seemed to put the game away when they converted a fourth down and finished off a 75-yard drive for touchdown with three minutes left in the game.

     Aubrey struck back quickly when Robinson and Cannon teamed up for a 66-yard bomb just 14 seconds later.

     Aubrey failed to recover an onside kick, giving the ball to the Indians. Sanger converted a pair of first downs to run out the clock.

     “The effort was incredible tonight. We fought for four quarters, but just like last week we came up a little bit short,” Segleski said. “The little things are killing us. The little things are what is keeping us from being 5-0.”